Monday, July 6

Cupar Anniversary

July 4th the morning of Cupar's 110th anniversary the sun shone brightly in the sky. Okay I'm lying.
The night before we had a lightning thunderstorm and a lot of rain. I did not sleep well as I counted the time between lightning and thunder claps. Our dog barked hysterically at each one. I was up at 6:00 a.m. making morning coffee, which was a good idea as the power went out for 3 hours and it was a drizzly kind of morning. Fire up the barbecue. The pancake breakfast, as part of the day's festivities, I imagine was well attended unless you really like cold cereal and peanut butter on bread. I had a bath and decided it wasn't worth drying my hair as I would only get soaked again.

I took my camera in a waterproof bag and headed down to where the parade floats were assembling. Thought I would get some photos before the next down pour. Surprise it only drizzled through out the parade. The cars lined the main street, all angle parked, which is illegal, but everyone was confident that no one would get a ticket because all the RCMP from Southey were apparently leading the parade.

I had several offers to sit in cars as my hair was soaking wet, right, I forgot about the bath, but I preferred running back and forth taking photos and avoiding the myriad of candies being thrown at the crowd.

Our museum opened it's doors at noon. I was excited about people coming and seeing our displays for the town's anniversary. At some point I wandered off to the sport's grounds to check out other activities. That may have been a mistake as I had to run back to the museum in the pouring rain.

The band, Blue Country, arrived for our entertainment portion of our Strawberry Social. They dumped water off the canopy and started setting up. Now I am not lying, at 2:00 p.m. as the Strawberry Social began the sun came out and it was hot. I discarded my rain coat but for some odd reason had not brought my sunglasses. We ran out of whipped cream. We ran out of plates. Judy ran for more.

Our event was a success. People loved the band and our special displays. People asked many questions. They remarked on how wonderful the museum was and how they must come more often.
We wrapped up at 5:00 p.m. 

Later people headed over to the pull pork supper at the sports grounds. In the evening the band Grimstone played. There were fireworks. Our dog barked hysterically at each one and I did not get much sleep.

No comments: